I'm setting up mysql on linux for the first time (have been using OpenBSD and NetBSD with UFS until now). The default file system is ext3fs, and I don't mind that, but it seems really silly to use a journaled file system for the database data - doubling my writes.

In particular, I have a couple of use cases where I spend a week or so creating a 17GB data (table) file and its 15GB index file, and then do sparse queries out of it. I need as much write speed as I can get. I certainly don't want to have every data block written twice, once to the journal and once to the file, along with the extra seeks.

What do people with this sort of large problem use on Linux?

Thanks,
chris