To: <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2007 1:20 PM
Subject: Diagnosing i/o thrashing

I'm trying to diagnose a server which is frequently racking up over 70% iowait when running a big PHP/MySQL app. I've increased mysql memory allocations as far as I dare, but it's just not clear to me where the problem is. My tables are all innodb, but the numbers in 'show innodb status' are not terribly meaningful. It's also unclear whether all the disk activity is down to mysql or the php driving it (and if I stop one, of course the other stops too).

Though it is showing some swap usage, there's also a fair amount  shown as free
or cached.

The diagnostic suggestions on phpMyAdmin's status page have been useful to date, but I'm just not sure what measures will be the most effective.

How might I best track down the root of the problem?

Alternatively, anyone up for a few hours of consultancy?

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.synchromedia.co.uk/