Neil Tompkins wrote:
The problem I have is our mysql database version is 3.23 and we are not in a position to upgrade.

Because you are unlikely to be selecting on this data directly, you could use functions of whatever language you're using to connect to the database... for example if you're using PHP...

http://uk2.php.net/manual/en/ref.mcrypt.php

I hope to god though your reason for not upgrading is because this is a shared host you're planning on storing credit card details on..... Make sure you give the users a chance to opt out of you keeping that kind of data, and remember to never store the CVV number.

--
Ian P. Christian ~ http://pookey.co.uk