From: Brent Baisley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: March 12, 2007 3:50 PM
To: Little, Timothy; Caplan, Michael; mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Re: Function in Query has Terrible Impact on Indexes Used

The SYSDATE() function is not evaluated once, it's evaluated for each
record. An index can't be used because the value may change at
any time. Just as if you were using RAND() instead, it can't be
preparsed.
You can put the result of SYSDATE() into a variable and then use the
variable in the query, then it's a constant and an index can be
used. SYSDATE() is not a constant, it returns a changing value.