Hi Everyone

I have a new MySQL database at the back end of an invoicing and stock control
program. I ran a Performance Monitor thing whilst doing the look-ups involved
in one of the reports (Invoice items in order of customer name between 2 dates
- you know the sort of thing). It appears that the server sends the data to the
client, process it there (and in the case of writing data back to the files)
sends it back again.

It doesn't seem to make any difference whether the CursorLocation = adUseClient
or adUseServer.

    Set mconn = New ADODB.Connection
    mconn.ConnectionString = "DRIVER={MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver};" & "SERVER=" &
mstrServerName & ";" & " DATABASE=" & mstrThisDatabase & ";" & "UID=root;PWD="
& mstrThisPassword & "; OPTION=3"
    mconn.Open

Then, for updating the database I use
    mconn.CursorLocation = adUseClient
    grsCustomers.Open mstrSQL, mconn, adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic
or if it's just for reporting, then
    mconn.CursorLocation = adUseServer
    grsCustomers.Open mstrSQL, mconn, adOpenForwardOnly, adLockReadOnly

If I set mconn.CursorLocation = adUseServer shouldn't the data be processed
without sending it to the client, or am I missing something?

PS, what is Option = 3 in mconn.ConnectionString?

Thanks in advance

Jonathan Trahair