MySQL Users,

I have a local website development environment where I have a "master" MySQL database.

I have several web sites which use the exact same database structure.

The structure of the master database doesn't change very often, but it does sometimes. When that happens, I want to be able to synchronize all the web sites to match it.

Currently, I'm creating a bash sell script so that I can update all my web sites in one go. I've got it so that it will upload all the newest PHP and other web files.

For MySQL, so far I've figured out that I can create a .sql file with the latest database structure with this command:

mysqldump -u "root" -p"password" articlass_db --no-data --result-file=backup_db.sql

But I'm now stuck on how to use that .sql file to upload the new structure to each web site's MySQL server. Can this be done?

And can it be done in a non-destructive way. I mean, the web sites may include data that I don't want to lose. So I don't want the new data structure to wipe out any existing structure. I just want to compare the master database structure with the one on the web site, and if there are new tables or columns, then add them.

Is this possible without third party commercial software?

Thank you for any advice.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft