At 6:56 PM +0200 3/16/07, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
Hi,

Sometimes I see that some tables from my database get corrupted. Why does this happpen and how can I avoid it? It is not hard to go and use "repair table" but it seems that in this way some records could be deleted and this is not ok. If I want to have a very secure database, can I use MySQL? I hope the answer won't be that I need to make backups regularily.

You'll have to give us some more information...at least:

* What MySQL version, OS platform, and file system used for database?
* Does this happen at a regular time, or apparently randomly?
* Does this happen to the same tables all the time, or is that random as well?
* Is this a precompiled binary from MySQL or did you build it yourself?

I could see that if you compiled it yourself against some buggy libraries you could have problems; perhaps a cronjob is doing some copy/restore process on the underlying files without shutting mysql down or flushing logs; perhaps a lot of things...more information is needed.

It has been my experience (on Windows NT, Solaris and Linux platforms) that MySQL has been one of the more reliable programs out there. Even after system crashes I haven't lost any data; a repair table and index rebuild fixed things.

        steve

--
+--------------- my people are the people of the dessert, ---------------+
| Steve Edberg                                http://pgfsun.ucdavis.edu/ |