I don't see how  to use this here, I will have to research the |/||/|

select rpad(|IFNULL(|null, ''),5,'1');

|/||/|

but this below works thank you

SELECT RPAD(CASE WHEN NULL IS NULL THEN '' ELSE '2' END, 5, '1');

If you are using it on an actual field, you would replace the first NULL
and
the '2' with the field to be checked.

> I am running a basic install of MySQL 5.0 with "strict mode" turned on I
> would like to use RPAD however at times a NULL var will be sent to the
> function. My goal is to have a function that will convert the NULL to a
> blank string to get the result of EXAMPLE3 if a NULL is returned.
>

> EXAMPLE 1
>
> mysql> select rpad(null,5,'1');
> | rpad(null,5,'1') |
> | NULL             |