Great. That is the assumption under which I have been working. I was really hoping for confirmation. I appreciate it!!!!! Thanks for responding.

Thanks,

Paul

Chris Comparini wrote:
On Wednesday 21 March 2007 16:31, Paul J. Boyes wrote:
Hello,

I have a fairly sizeable aggregate table that is built from a large
amount of data that is going to receive a large volume of reads. I am
looking at possibly using the rename to swap the table out regularly
with an updated one. Is this a viable solution for a table that
experiences a large number of reads? Will it work? What are the drawbacks?

Having never done this with MySQL, I am hoping to get some advice from
others who may have attempted this, are in the know, etc....Any info you
can provide would be greatly appreciated.

In my experience it is safe and fast to do this sort of thing:

RENAME TABLE live_table TO old_table, new_table TO live_table;

As far as I know doing the 2 renames in one command (as above)
is the only way to do them atomically in MySQL.

Hope that helps,

  -Chris