Hi Maciej,
When you say copying binary Innodb data.
Can you please elobrate on this.

regards
anandkl

On 3/28/07, Maciej Dobrzanski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, Ananda Kumar wrote:

> Hi Maciej,
>
> Thanks a lot for this info, so the best may to move tables from one db
> another db on a different machine is to use mysqldump, right?

Not necessarily, especially if you are moving to a fresh, empty server.
Each solution has its advantages. For example, copying binary InnoDB data
files may be much faster if your database is large as export to and import
from text files may take a very long time. Importing from text files
however results in optimized data which can be highly fragmented in the
old server's datafiles, and the import is not affected by any
(incompatible) file format changes which can happen from time to time
between two different versions of MySQL. etc.

You have to decide what is good for your data, what you can and can't do.
I'd say using dump&import method is the simplest and the safest way to
go.

Maciek

> On 3/28/07, Maciej Dobrzanski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>  In news:[EMAIL PROTECTED],
>>  "Ananda Kumar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> >  Is it possible for me to move all these files to a new db on a new
>> >  machine. If you can you please let know how it can be done or guide
>> >  to any url, it would be of great help.
>>
>>  You cannot do this with copying .ibd files alone, but in most cases
you
>>  can
>>  move to a different server all the InnoDB information (.idb files,
shared
>>  tablespace(s), log files, database parameters regarding InnoDB log
files
>>  and
>>  tablespaces (count, sizes, filenames)), with appropriate .frm files.
This
>>  would of course require the new server not to contain any earlier
InnoDB