Hi Scott,

Thanks for the information.  I'll look into linux-ha seriously.

Regards,

Ben

Scott Tanner wrote:
Ben,
Check out Linux-ha ( http://linux-ha.org). We are using version 1 at my company, which is fairly easy to set up and there are a lot of good articles on it. With this you can create a virtual address to fail-over between systems, run commands / scripts during a fail over, and even kill the other node (stonith) if you have supporting hardware. For our setup, we have the client apps accessing the db through the virtual IP address. We have 2 mysql config files, one for the master and one for the slave (actually we have one m4'd config file, but you get the idea). During failover, we restart mysql on the slave using the master config file and transfer the virtual IP over.
  Here are a couple of key points for setting this up:

  1. Slave must be running with the 'log-slave-updates' option.
2. After you run a back issue a reset master on the slave server.

Hope this helps,
Scott Tanner