Hi,
I followed the instructions to change columns values from an encoding another
(in my case from latin1 to utf8), but the operation simply failed.

The manual reads http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/alter-table.html :
"
If you want to change the table default character set and all character columns (|CHAR|, |VARCHAR|, |TEXT|) to a new character set, use a statement like this:

ALTER TABLE /|tbl_name|/ CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET /|charset_name|/;

*Warning:* The preceding operation converts column values between the character sets.
"

fact is that the columns values are completely unaffected.
If in konsole with encoding set to latin1 I select one particular TEXT field from the table before the conversion I can see correct accented letters; after the conversion to utf8 (but with the konsole encoding still set to latin1) the select of the same field still shows correct accented letters, that would have been impossible if the encoding conversion
had actually been done.

Changing the table handler from Innodb to Myisam didn't help.
The version of Mysql I'm using is 5.0.27-max.

Am I doing something wrong?

Sponsor:
Refill s.r.l. - Il risparmio รจ fai da te! Inchiostri, cartucce, toner, carta
speciale: ogni ricarica per la tua stampante ti costa solo 1 EURO!
Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=5193&d=4-4