Then you just have to come up with some other criteria for determining who
should be counted as "before" or "after" Joe, which might well be the same
as the order by clause in whatever you're doing right now while examining
the result set.

I think your approach of examining the result set will work well in
testing.  In practice, with load, it could quickly become a real problem.
Databases are very good at providing answers about the data they contain,
while languages like PHP are very good at emitting HTML ... use each to its
fullest potential.  Looping through thousands of results provided by the
database to find one record is not efficient in terms of either the database
or PHP.

Dan