Is there a way to create temporary stored proc or func so that it is store in memory rather than in the mysql.proc table?

The result I am going for is to abstract some encryption functions, but I don't want the encryption process stored in the proc table; I was thinking if there was a way to create a function in memory, I could load it during startup from an init-file. (I know it is still on the file system, but I have my reasons. Really.)

Alternatively, is there a way to create a custom global variable? I was hoping it would be as easy as adding it to the my.cnf file, but no such luck.

Thanks.

David