I have a box where I'm forced to use PHP before 64-bit integers became
standard ...

If I run a MySQL query where one of the fields returned is 64-bit integer,
how do I get this into PHP as a string?  My recollection is that in the
PHP result sets it "auto types" so that it is an integer, and 64-bit
integers
will cause problems if one tries to assign into 32 bits.

P.S.--Once into PHP as a string, I would use the bcmath library to
manipulate it ...

P.P.S.--One solution I would consider acceptable -- although I hope a better
one exists -- would be to have a text field in the table that simply holds
the string version of the 64-bit integer.  If that is the best solution
available, I'd be curious about how to populate that in a single operation
on an INSERT with the value assigned by AUTOINCREMENT.