Hi,

  I have a table with 2 million records but without an index or a primary key.
The column upon which I want to create an index is a varchar. Will it give me
any advantage when I have to do a select on the column?

  BTW, here is the scenario:

  create table `test` (`phonenumber` varchar(100));
  insert into test (phonenumber) values(`0001234567');
  and so on 2 million times

  alter table test add index (phonenumber)

  Also, I can't modify the code that calls the SQL. It was written in VB and
the developer has left the company with the source.

  I would like to get your feedback before I actually do this because I don't
want to create a disruption when the DB is in production.

  Thanks
  Murthy

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.