From: Brent Baisley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 9:37 PM
To: He, Ming Xin PSE NKG; mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Re: Problem on millions of records in one table?

It all depends on how complicated your data and searches are. I've got
tables that add 2-3 million per day and I don't have
performance problems. Although we only retain at most 500 millions
records, not a full years worth.

That said, you can get horrible performance out of mysql with tables as
small as 100,000 records if you don't structure your queries
correctly or use a good table structure. If I know the tables are going
to grow quickly and I don't need the entire dataset all the
time, I'll use merge tables. This makes it easy to remove "old" data
easily from the default table set.