It might be a little late for this advice but mysqldump has some
useful options for this kind of thing. When I use it to create full
snapshots, I use a script which generates a separate schema file per
table/view and keep the data in one or more per table for data.
naming conventions keep keep the files grouped.  the little known
--where option is handy for the later.

As for editors, I have used vi frequently in the past to edit
larger-than-RAM files but never anything that big.

On 4/19/07, Mogens Melander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Thu, April 19, 2007 12:48, Duncan Hill wrote:
> On Thursday 19 April 2007 11:43:34 molemenacer wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have backed up a database using mysqldump and have a .sql script that
>> is
>> over 2GB in size.  I am trying to open this file to view it and make
>> some
>> changes.  I have not been able to find a program that can open this
>> file.
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions as to a program that can do this?
>
> You need an editor that will only load the current view of the file into
> memory.  I'm not sure that such a beast exists, other than stream editors
> such as sed or perl.  Can the changes you need to make be done with stream
> editing (simple changes like changing a word or two are very easy with
> stream
> editor)?

Also, replace from your mysql-installation could be used,if
you only need to replace "a-string" with "b-string" :)

--
Later

Mogens Melander
+45 40 85 71 38
+66 870 133 224

dangerous content by OpenProtect(http://www.openprotect.com), and is
believed to be clean.

- michael dykman
- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

- All models are wrong.  Some models are useful.