Hi,

When I try mysql_upgrade I get a connection problem,

        $ mysql_upgrade -p
        Enter password:
        /usr/bin/mysqlcheck: Got error: 1045: Access denied for user
'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES) when trying to connect
        Error executing '/usr/bin/mysqlcheck --check-upgrade --all-databases
--auto-repair --user=root'

but I am able to run mysql_check directly without a problem,

        $ mysqlcheck --check-upgrade --all-databases --auto-repair -u root -p
        Enter password:
        main.provider                                      OK
        main.request_dispatch                              OK
        mysql.columns_priv                                 OK
        mysql.db                                           OK
        mysql.func                                         OK
        mysql.help_category                                OK
        mysql.help_keyword                                 OK
        mysql.help_relation                                OK
        mysql.help_topic                                   OK
        mysql.host                                         OK
        mysql.proc                                         OK
        mysql.procs_priv                                   OK
        mysql.tables_priv                                  OK
        mysql.time_zone                                    OK
        mysql.time_zone_leap_second                        OK
        mysql.time_zone_name                               OK
        mysql.time_zone_transition                         OK
        mysql.time_zone_transition_type                    OK
        mysql.user                                         OK

Does anyone know why this would be?

This is my version information:

        $ mysqladmin version
        mysqladmin  Ver 8.41 Distrib 5.0.32, for pc-linux-gnu on i486
        Copyright (C) 2000 MySQL AB & MySQL Finland AB & TCX DataKonsult AB
        This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
        and you are welcome to modify and redistribute it under the GPL license

        Server version          5.0.32-Debian_7etch1-log
        Protocol version        10
        Connection              Localhost via UNIX socket
        UNIX socket             /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

Cheers,
-Janek