I have an issue. Both with mysql pconnect enabled and disabled.

Randomly, between every 5 mins or ever few hours the connections will jump
by as much as 100 connections of more in the span of a a few seconds (5 - 15
seconds usually) then return back to normal.

However, during this peak/flood of connections. Apache (on seperate box)
hits 100% cpu usage until the connects normalize. Also the apache httpd.exe
RAM usuage increases at the same time.

Question.
1) Does this sound like a mysql, php or apache issue?
2) Is there a config in either my.ini, php.ini or httpd.conf to stop this
flooding?

Related Specs
Two identical servers one with apache and the other DB
Both with 3GB RAM. Max RAM usage around 35%
2x 5140 P4 dual core
3x 36GB 15k SCSI RAID 1 (one drive runs OS and 2 drives on Raid)

My.ini
----------------------------------
[client]
port=3306

[mysql]
default-character-set=latin1
safe-user-create
skip-show-database

[mysqld]
port=3306
basedir="D:/mysql/"
datadir="D:/mysql/Data/"
default-character-set=latin1
default-storage-engine=myisam
max_connections=600
connect_timeout=10
wait_timeout=10
max_connect_errors=10
key_buffer_size=256M
tmp_table_size=256M
table_cache=2048
max_allowed_packet=16M
myisam_max_sort_file_size=100k
myisam_max_extra_sort_file_size=100k
thread_cache_size=256
myisam_sort_buffer_size=64M
read_buffer_size=2M
join_buffer_size=1M
sort_buffer_size=1M
read_rnd_buffer_size=1M
query_cache_limit=8M
query_cache_size=128M
query_cache_type=1
query_prealloc_size=163840
query_alloc_block_size=32768

innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=10M
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=1
innodb_log_buffer_size=6M
innodb_buffer_pool_size=128M
innodb_log_file_size=100M
innodb_thread_concurrency=4
innodb_file_io_threads=4

open_files_limit=2048
bulk_insert_buffer_size=8M
max_heap_table_size=256M

safe-user-create
skip-show-database
old-passwords

#Don't cache host names.
skip-host-cache
#Don't resolve hostnames. All hostnames are IP's or 'localhost'.
skip-name-resolve

[mysqldump]
quick
max_allowed_packet = 32M