Joerg Bruehe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Also, "virtual memory" is not just RAM, it also includes your paging
space (aka "swap device"): check its size and usage.

This is a really good point. Are there some other parameters (either
compiler or environment) I should be trying to tweak in addition to
ggc-min-expand and ggc-min-heapsize?

AFAIK, the CFLAGS value in a Makefile is not automatically passed to
"make" runs in subdirectories.

That's exactly it. I just verified it by changing the CFLAGS and other
variables in a sub-directory Makefile, and sure enough, they work
there. Interesting!

Better try this:

    cd <top-level-dir>
    configure <your-options-here>
    CFLAGS="--param ggc-min-expand=0 --param ggc-min-heapsize=8192" make

This totally works -- thank you! At least, it gets me further in the
compilation process. It seems even with those flags, I'm still getting
the "virtual memory exhausted" error.... just much later instead of
almost right off the bat. So I guess I'm back to wondering if there
might not be other parameters I should try tweaking.

Thanks,

Weston