Baron Schwartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What version of MySQL are you running on each machine?

Sorry, I should've included this information.  Both of them are
running 5.0.24, installed from exactly the same .rpm file.  I wanted
to avoid any issues related to different MySQL versions during this
transition.

> The statement might have failed because the user already existed,

You can see that was my first guess too.  That's why I tried removing
the user from mysql.user and starting the slave threads again, as I
described.  Unless it was trying to create the same user twice, that
should've fixed it (if this was the cause), but it didn't seem to.
  -- Cos