Even though I completely removed everything I could find related to
MySQL in Synaptic Package Manager, a folder still remained
at /var/lib/mysql/ containing all my old table information. If that info
hung around, it seemes logical to assume the Grants table were still
somewhere interfering with my attempts to login to mysql as root.

        However, when I followed instructions at
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/resetting-permissions.html , I
was able to kill mysqld and restart it with the skipping the grants
table option. I was then able to to login as the the weird Debian/Ubuntu
equivalent of root (a user using sudo) and access the mysql database.
>From there I was able to reinvigorate root.

        The thing that surprised me was that all my data survived the
reinstallation process. I thought the databases and tables I had created
would go up in smoke when I removed mysql_server. They're all intact.

        Thanks for your help.