John Meyer wrote ...
"you may want to do a perl script to find and replace the spaces."

Scott Haneda wrote ...
"I would move your html and string parse logic into php,"

If I'm doing data entry for individuals via a web page, Javascript is a third
option.

Here's the reasons I was thinking MySQL.

(1) I thought it might be quicker than Perl or PHP. Correct me if I'm wrong.

(2) I have read a short description of Triggers, and I thought these
three lines of code might be an excellent AFTER INSERT trigger. (I
don't know enough about Triggers yet to know if they'll even take multiple
lines of code however.) (A) Could this be a Trigger? and (B) Would it be worth
doing?

(3) I've written plenty of Perl and PHP code that concatenates fields
and builds XHTML cells and rows. I thought it might be interesting to
build the rows inside the database table and have my PHP do nothing but
count MySQL records in order to know when to open and close the XHTML
table rows.