First question, if the PHP works, why are you asking here for an answer?

Assuming you now want to do this transformation at the database layer,
select the three date components out separately with the string functions
and then use DATE_FORMAT() to print them how you want.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/date-and-time-functions.html#function
_date-format

Edward