It worked in 4.x but does not work in the new syntax. How should I
rewrite it to get the same result?

OK, that was a lie. It works in 5.x as well. I should learn to
describe my problem more accurately as well as RTFM :-(

The correct description of the query in question would have been:

select * from         messages, someothertable                  left
join messages as messages_ on
messages.thread = messages_.thread and messages.created <
messages_.created where messages_.id is null

Since there was a comma (inner) join there, the left join applied only
to 'someothertable' and not to message table as intended. As I
learned, in 5.0.12+, parentheses matter!

Duh!