Hi Chris,

Chris Hoover wrote:
Does Mysql support groups of users?  I am working on porting an application
from Sybase to Mysql and it relies heavily on using groups to control access
to the data.  I am not seeing this mentioned in Mysql, but I might be
overlooking something.  So does it support groups?

No, just straightforward user accounts with individual GRANT and REVOKE. I too miss groups/roles, alas.

If it helps, the way I tend to manage it is just assign everyone to the same user account, and name it as though it's a group -- e.g. "analyst," "developer," "intern," and so forth. I know that's not the same thing and has obvious limitations, but for my purposes it's easier than having to maintain many accounts.

If anyone has nifty ways to do interesting stuff with user accounts, I'd love to hear about them!

Baron

--
Baron Schwartz
http://www.xaprb.com/