First of all I am very much a newbie with MySQL.

I am trying to create some tables and then read in some data from a .csv file using load data infile 'filename.csv'

The data in the .csv file has actually come from another database system.

I have two problems which I haven't been able to find my way around.

In many cases there are missing values for particular fields. If I declare that field or column to be CHAR(m) then I can read the data in using the load command. However in a number of cases I want the field to be INT of some sort. If in the create table statement I declare the column to be INT however, I am unable to successfully read the data in. This is curious because I know it was written out from the source database with an INT declaration.

I have some dates which are in the incorrect format, as dd/mm/yyyy. Is there any way of having them recognised as dates?

For both of these problems my intended workaround is to create a new column from the problem column which has the attributes I want. I am not sure how possible that is at this point, being very inexperienced with MySQL.

Any advice would be most welcome, if only a pointer to the appropriate location in the documentation.

David Scott

David Scott     Department of Statistics, Tamaki Campus
                The University of Auckland, PB 92019
                Auckland 1142,    NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 86830         Fax: +64 9 373 7000
Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Graduate Officer, Department of Statistics
Director of Consulting, Department of Statistics