Hi John,

Kebbel, John wrote:
I moved information about our school locks (serial numbers, combinations,
student,
etc) from FileMaker to MySQL into a table called lockers and wrote PHP pages so
our
teachers could record the locks returned at the end of the year. Unfortunately,
missed transferring close to 200 locks.

I duplicated the structure of lockers (1313 locks) as lockers2 and reloaded all
the
information from Filemaker (1492 locks). My problem is moving the information
from
lockers to lockers2 that was added AFTER the Filemaker migration (2nd semester
teacher, returned, paid).

This is what I'm getting set to try, but I've never seen a JOIN in an update
statement before. Am I on the right track for this?

UPDATE lockers2 SET lockers2.returned = lockers.returned, lockers2.teacher2nd =
lockers.teacher2nd, lockers2.paid = lockers.paid WHERE lockers2.serialNumber =
lockers.serialNumber;

It's not quite right. I hope you're not about to try this for the first time on your production data :-) Maybe you can grab 100 rows from each table into scratch tables and play with it to be sure you will get what you want.

The general syntax (with JOIN -- I can't do comma-joins) is more like

update foo
        inner join bar on ...
set a = b, c = d...