hi ppl,

i am a newbie running apache, php & mysql on a redhat 7 server...

i am getting the following error when i browse to my php file which access my database
called steve:

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111) in /var/www/html/bookorama/index.php3 on line 7

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in
/var/www/html/bookorama/index.php3 on line 9

here is the index.php file:

<?php

$db = mysql_connect("localhost", "root", "new-password");

mysql_select_db("steve",$db);

?>

i can access mysql and this database no problems via the linux box using mysqladmin etc

i would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction....

thanks in advance

steve