Thanks for the reply.  I tracked the problem down.  Simple problem really,
I was using an old mysql-connector-java jar.  I updated that to the
correct version for my database and it all worked.

What version of of the JDBC driver are you using?
  Good question to ask.  I asked myself that very question shortly after
emailing the list.

Thanks

David Godsey