Having just tried building MySQL 6.0 SRPM on CentOS/RHEL 5, it would
appear that it doesn't even build cleanly with the default settings with
GCC! Has anyone got any information as to why this might be? It seems to
build OK, but then all the tests (mysql-test-run) seem to fail.

Is this known not to work, or am I just unlucky enough to be the first
one to try it?

Gordan