Hi David.

David Scott wrote:

I am trying to update the column CreditCode in a table extract using data from another table CreditCodes, which has columns CreditCode and Consumer_No.

I have been given the following sql which works on another database (not sure which and it is late at night so I can't ring up and ask)

update extract
    set CustomerCreditCode = b.CreditCode
    from extract a
    inner join CreditCodes b
    on a.ConsumerNO = b.Consumer_No;

It looks like SQL Server or Sybase to me, but maybe other things have the same
syntax.

This gives an error in mysql:
ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'from extract a
inner join CreditCodes b
on a.ConsumerNO = b.Cons

Can anyone translate it into correct mysql syntax for me?

Here are two ways you can try, which may have different performance:

update extract set CustomerCreditCode
   = ( select CreditCode from CreditCodes as b where extract.ConsumerNO =
b.Consumer_No);

update extract as a
   inner join CreditCodes b
     on a.ConsumerNO = b.Consumer_No
   set a.CustomerCreditCode = b.CreditCode;

Baron