I have a large InnoDB table which I want to add a TIMESTAMP column to
and a new index.  It's actually a few tables and in some cases I only
want to index the new column but in others it's a multi-key index with
the new column and another column.

The problem is that this is taking many, many hours to complete.  I'm
looking for ideas about how to speed it up.  It appears to be copying
to a tmp table.

I have seen this article (thanks, Baron):
http://www.xaprb.com/blog/2006/06/14/how-to-re-index-a-large-database-table/

That's an option, but I wonder if there's anything less extreme I
could use that would speed things up enough without the extra work of
slowly rebuilding the table.  Any ideas?

- Perrin