id2 char

sample data looks like this:

id1     id2
1       3
2       4
3       5
5       6
6       8

And of course another table has something like:

id      info1   info2   info3
1       blah    blah    blah
2       blah    blah    blah

I'd like to store paths to specific destinations...

In other words, the path from 1 to 8 is:

1,3,5,6,8

I was thinking of creating a table called relationships

start   end     path
1       8       {3,5,6}

This would allow me to easily display the path if I know the start and end, but what it doesn't allow me to do is reuse the data.

IE: say that I calculate the path from 1 to 8 as 1,3,5,6,8, and then I want to know the path from 3 to 6. even though this is already calculated, I have to recalculate it as another row... hence

start   end     path
1       8       {3,5,6}
3       6       {5}

I considered making another table, called hops, such as:

start   end     relationshipID
1       8       1

table hops:
relationshipID  start   end
1               1       3
1               3       5
1               5       6
1               6       8

Then I could almost "reuse" those hops somehow.... but not sure.

Can anyone recommend a good way to store this data?

Thanks!

-Matt