Hi,
 I was appending Grant previledges to some databases
in mysql;
either i typed something wrong or there is a bug which
I am uncertain about, but what happened was I could
not login as su anymore. I then solved this problem by
changing grp (chgrp) permission in /bin/su and it
works fine.
However I could not connect to mysql again

When I start mysql I get the following error
$ mysql
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL
server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock'
(111)

I could not start nor stop any running mysql
I tried to reboot my system hoping that the process
will terminate and restart fresh but during shutdown I
see the message that mysql shutdown failed. Upon
booting again I could not start mysql

Even though it shows the file here
[EMAIL PROTECTED] locate mysql.sock
/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

the cat of my.cnf is

$ cat my.cnf

[mysqld]
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

# Default to using old password format for
compatibility with old and
# shorter password hash.
# Reference:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Password_hashing.html
old_passwords=1

[mysql.server]
user=mysql
basedir=/var/lib

[mysqld_safe]
err-log=/var/log/mysqld/mysqld.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

Also I tried to kill mysql by using PID
ie kill  -9 'PID'
but each time the PID changes when i do ps -ax|grep
mysql
and it fails to kill mysql.

Can some Mysql messiah help me solve this problem.

Thank you in advance
- ash#
PS: I guessed it was quite a common error but when
searched through the list it retrived me null post,
hence I am posting this.