Hi Seth -

I believe MySQL's official position is that you should always dump-and-load
the data when upgrading major or minor versions (4.0 to 4.1, 4.1 to 5.0,
etc.)

I've done it both ways (dump-load and just moving table files) and have
never had a problem with either, even when moving files across OS platforms
*knock on wood*.  That said, I think you might find dump-and-load just the
ticket to work around the problem you're having.

What you're doing *should* work, but since it isn't, I'd try another avenue
myself to avoid spending much more time on it.

Something as simple as

mysqldump -u root -ppassword -h hostwith41 --all-databases | mysql -u root
-ppassword -h hostwith51

would do it, if you want to transfer everything

Mind that you've got an appropriate network connection - you wouldn't want
to make your laptop on home wireless with DSL the in-between if you have
50GB of data to transfer.

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any questions.

Dan

On 6/21/07, Seth Seeger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Jun 21, 2007, at 12:21 PM, Gerald L. Clark wrote:

> Seth Seeger wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I'm having trouble copying a database from MySQL 4.1.22 to 5.1.19-
>> beta.  Both are FreeBSD i386-based machines.  I have run the
>> following commands:
>> mysqlcheck --check-upgrade --all-databases --auto-repair
>> mysql_fix_privilege_tables
>> Both executed with no problems.  (mysqlcheck reported "OK" for
>> all  tables.)  When I try to access any of the tables, I get this:
>> mysql> select * from users;
>> ERROR 1034 (HY000): Incorrect key file for table 'users'; try to
>> repair it
>> So I tried to repair it:
>> mysql> repair table users;
>> +----------------------------+--------+----------
>> +--------------------------------------------------------+
>> | Table                      | Op     | Msg_type |
>> Msg_text                                               |
>> +----------------------------+--------+----------
>> +--------------------------------------------------------+
>> | seth_icsx_mands_live.users | repair | error    | Incorrect key
>> file  for table 'users'; try to repair it |
>> +----------------------------+--------+----------
>> +--------------------------------------------------------+
>> 1 row in set, 1 warning (0.10 sec)
>> Running "repair table users" doesn't seem to have any effect on
>> it  because the problem persists.  I have tried to run
>> mysql_upgrade,  with no success:
>> # mysql_upgrade --basedir=/usr/local --datadir=/var/db --verbose
>> Looking for 'mysql' in: mysql
>> FATAL ERROR: Can't find 'mysql'
>> I have tried it with all different combinations for the two
>> directory  options with no luck.  All tables are MyISAM.
>> Can anyone shed some light on what I'm supposed to do?
>> Thanks,
>> Seth
> Shut the server down and run myisamchk on users.MYI

Sadly, no success.  I tried running it two different ways:

# myisamchk -e -r users
- recovering (with sort) MyISAM-table 'users'
Data records: 1283
- Fixing index 1
Found block with too small length at 101420; Skipped

# myisamchk -c -r users
- recovering (with sort) MyISAM-table 'users'
Data records: 1283
- Fixing index 1

I still get the same error when I try to access the table.

Thanks,
Seth