At 10:19 PM -0500 6/22/07, Chris W wrote:
when you get a duplicate key error it says something to the effect of "Duplicate entry 'xyz' for key x"
What I want to know is how to find out what table fields are part of key x?

'show index' is what you want, I think:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/show-index.html

Example:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]> create table test (c1 int, c2 int, index i1 (c1,c2));
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.02 sec)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]> show index from test\G
       Table: test
  Non_unique: 1
    Key_name: i1
Seq_in_index: 1
 Column_name: c1
   Collation: A
 Cardinality: NULL
    Sub_part: NULL
      Packed: NULL
        Null: YES
  Index_type: BTREE
     Comment:
*************************** 2. row ***************************
       Table: test
  Non_unique: 1
    Key_name: i1
Seq_in_index: 2
 Column_name: c2
   Collation: A
 Cardinality: NULL
    Sub_part: NULL
      Packed: NULL
        Null: YES
  Index_type: BTREE
     Comment:
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

        steve

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

"Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM, learn more at http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm";

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want & give the gifts they want
One stop wish list for any gift, from anywhere, for any occasion!
http://thewishzone.com

--
+--------------- my people are the people of the dessert, ---------------+
| Steve Edberg                                http://pgfsun.ucdavis.edu/ |