Hi,
I have an application that is using the MySQL HANDLER heavily. The application was ported from a legacy ISAM database to use MySQL.
The upshot is that the application works by "index walking" - i.e.,

HANDLER tablename OPEN
HANDLER tablename OPEN as indexname
HANDLER indexname READ indexname =  (key1, key2, ...)
HANDLER indexname READ indexname NEXT LIMIT 1
HANDLER indexname READ indexname NEXT LIMIT 1
HANDLER indexname READ indexname NEXT LIMIT 1

(it works very well - although we are also migrating the applications to use selects and prepares - which are causing their own problems).

We run in 2 scenarios -
1. Machines with lots of databases and few users (ie. internal testing machines) and 2. Machines with only one database and many users (i.e. customer production machines).

My questions...
Are HANDLER queries cached in the query cache?
If so, is it worth using a query cache when using so many HANDLER .. NEXT calls.
Again if so, is it recommended to set a small "query_cache_limit".

--

Regards,
Ian Collins