You havent mentioned which version of mysql your are on. If on an older
version i would recommend the option --opt. Also if you are running a  dump
using single-transaction option on a loaded system with writes, things might
slow down significantly due to different versions of rows which the server
needs to maintain due to the dump.

Thanks
Alex