Hi Folks,

I am in the process of putting together a web application. I have decided to add a 'RowId' field to all my tables and assign it a unique number so that I use it to retrieve data. In concept this number might be passed back to the server as part of an ajax request etc. My question is what is the best way to assign this number. My strongest feeling is to use an MD5 string:

Advantages:
1) It is not 'guessable', a sequence number might open up some security issues by allowing a user to replace the RowId if it is held in hidden field or something like that. 2) It is 'sort' of unique, with the changes of it being duplicate fairly slim (I really only need it to be unique by table).

Dis-advantages:
1) At 32 characters long it's pretty difficult to work with from an admin point of view 2) Performance, I am still fairly green with MySQL but I would have to assume that having an extra 32 char field in a table is going to have a performance impact.

Do you guys reckon the performance hit will be significant (I know this is a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question). Does anybody know of a better way to do this ? I was also considering doing something along the lines of ProcessID + Year + Month + Day + Hour + Second + MilliSecond + 4 digit random, would this be a better idea ?

TIA,
 JC