Ok, if memory serves me right, phpmyadmin use the credentials
from mysql's grant/deny schema. So when loggin into PMA, you
will have the priveleges on the server that was granted to that
user. When installing/configuring PMA, it will insist on getting
a root/privilleged users login/password to use for creating new
databases/users ao. Not having the root/superuser's access will
keep you from manipulating other users DB/tables.

There is no way that you can simulate being "another user" like
log in as "A" and change to "B". You have to GRANT "A" priveleges
to "B"'s databases, to do stuff on them.

It's probably too late for me to make sense, so i leave it here for now.

--
Later

Mogens Melander
+45 40 85 71 38