At 05:33 AM 7/25/2007, john_sm wrote:

Hey Guys, I am still in a thinking stage and will like to learn from your
experience, and was wondering if any of you folks have a hybrid environment
i.e. Linux and Proprietary systems and what kind of issues do you run into.
And also, what pieces of technology you have - which are open source and
which ones you have are proprietary and any changes you anticipate 1 year
out. Greatly appreciate your help.  - John Smith
-

For another database there is also Firebird which is quite good. The reason I mention it is you can distribute commercial applications without paying any fees. It runs on Windows, Linux, et al. It can also be embedded in the application so set up is a breeze or you can run it as C/S. So if you are going to be distributing a lot of database applications and you don't want to release the source code, give Firebird a look.

http://www.firebirdsql.org/

Mike