Hi,
I'm currently running several Joomla websites and phpBB forums on an old
FreeBSD server running mysql-server 3.23. Yesterday I upgraded the mysql
installation to 4.0.27 successfully. No problems at all. First I made
backups, then deinstalled mysql 3.23 and finally installed 4.0.27. I then
ran the mysql_fix_privilege_tables script which gave me some warnings, but
seemed OK. The test forum and databases started up fine.

Soon, I'll upgrade to 4.1 and then later to version 5 of the mysql server.

My question is: When upgrading mysql-server and running suggested/included
update scripts etc, do they only affect the base mysql server (and
associated files)? What about all the databases (Ie. phpBB/Joomla) that was
created under 3.23, should I run some sort of upgrading script on these
also? Need some advice here. Sounds logic to me that they also need to be
updated/optimized for the new system - somehow.

I hope someone will be able to assist me a little here.

Thanks and best regards,
Andreas