A puzzler for you guys...... all plausible explanations (and suggestions for proving them) gratefully received.

We run several MySQL database servers in the traditional master-slave configuration and attempt (rather poorly) to spread select queries between them. Normally the slave gets 1/3 of the master load. Both machines have identical configurations, hardware specifications and network connectivity. The main clients of these databases are PHP websites without persistent connections. A fail-over pair of machines in a separate building replicates from the master.

Today (as a result of replication failure) we directed all the traffic normally sent to the reporting server back to the master server adding a 1/3 to its load. Several areas of the websites got FASTER afterwards and I'm currenlty at a loss to explain why.

Nigel Wood