On Thursday 02 August 2007, Tim Johnson wrote:
> Hi:
> I use 5.0.38 on my ubuntu desktop
> and I have to work with ver 3.23.56 on a solaris-based server.
>
> The following update query:
> UPDATE wine_list,FRED SET wine_list.wine_ID=FRED.WMJ_ID WHERE
> wine_list.wine_ID=FRED.wine_ID;
>
> works on 5.038, but on 3.23.56 I get the following:
> ERROR 1064 (00000): You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'FRED SET
> wine_list.wine_ID=FRED.WMJ_ID WHERE wine_list.wine_ID=FRED.wine_ID' at line
   :-) Now I know why I upgraded from 3~ - it looks like the ability to
update a table with values from another table was added at version 4.04.

I could dump the table, run the update on my desktop and re-install, *but*
time is of the essence, 'cuz an update of wine_list on the server while I'm
operating on it on my desktop could cause some grief...

any other ideas?

thanks
tim