A composite index on both columns may be used by queries involving either both columns, or the first column in the index.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/multiple-column-indexes.html

So, an index on (receiver_id, sender_id) may be used by predicates on both columns or receiver_id alone, but never sender_id alone. (Or I should never say never, since mysql could in the future implement an index scan on the secondary column if the first has very few distinct values).

Since James only uses the predicates alone and never combined, I would also suggest a secondary index on (sender_id).

unique index (receiver_id, sender_id)
index (sender_id)

/Kristian

Quoting Ananda Kumar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Hi James,
Since your queries have both receiver_id and sender_id in the where
condition and u want this to be unique, just create one combined unique
index on both these columns.

Do this at db level will give you much better options, performance, rather
than doing at code level, which might involve quite bit of coding and will
slow down the performance of the app.

If you create individual index and combined index, there will be huge
performance degradation as there would be unnecessary index over heads.

regards
anandkl