Hi,

Beauford wrote:
Hi,

I have been trying for days to find a simple command in MySQL where I can
automatically delete records based on some criteria after a certain
timeframe.

I found this in the MySQL manual, but I guess it only works with version
5.1+. Unfortunately the version I need this to work on is 4.1, and can't be
upgraded.

CREATE EVENT e_hourly
ON SCHEDULE EVERY 1 HOUR
    COMMENT 'Clears out sessions table each hour.'
    DO
      DELETE FROM something;

Is there something similar in version 4.1 that will do the same thing.

No. But there are cron jobs :-) And if you're deleting many rows and you don't want to interfere with other running queries (sounds like this is an OLTP system), try MySQL Archiver with the --purge argument (http://mysqltoolkit.sourceforge.net/). It's much more efficient at large data volumes than a single DELETE statement.

Baron