Hi
I have a table with:
player_name, top_score, number_of_plays

When I list them out I "ORDER BY top_score DESC, number_of_plays DESC, player_name" to help give some sort of order to the people with the same scores.

What I would like to do is find out a players position without looping through all the records, so my plan was to do a "SELECT count(*)" and have "WHERE top_score > " the players top score.. however when there are many scores the same I want to also do "WHERE number_of_plays > " the players number of plays.

Doing "WHERE top_score > 1000 AND number_of_plays > 10" is no good as some players have higher scores but lower plays but should be counted as been higher ranked.

I don't want to loop through the scores, that's not very elegant. Also creating a temp table where the scores are in order and then counting on that would also be overkill?

I hope this makes sense and that there is a solution.
--
David Scott