----- Original Message ----- From: "Olav Mørkrid" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2007 1:07 AM
Subject: where column

hello

does anyone know what is returned when you do a where column without
further parameters?

SELECT * FROM TABLE WHERE COLUMN;

for integer columns it seems to return non-zero columns, but for other
types of columns the results seemed unpredictable.

In my opinion, the statement should not execute at all since it isn't syntactically correct. In the dialects of SQL I have used - and I've been using SQL for a lot of years - simply saying "WHERE hiredate" (or whatever column name you want) is an incomplete statement since the column name must be followed by some kind of operator, such as =, <, >, LIKE, or whatever.

Despite that, I am not up-to-date on MySQL and they may support an extension that lets you write SQL like that; in that case, the MySQL manual for your version should make it clear what happens if you write that.

But I still think it should not execute at all. The WHERE clause is a filter to prevent rows that don't satisfy the condition from appearing in your result set; "WHERE columnname" is not a complete condition in my opinion so it simply should execute.

--
Rhino